By Kathryn Weber
One of the most common concerns in feng shui is an energy block, such as a tree opposite a door, or a wall facing the door of your home. Blocks can stop and prevent energy from moving properly and will cause blocks to everything ranging from pregnancy to money, illness to opportunity.
However, the same could be said of energy siphons, but unlike blocks, siphons can actually cause serious harm.
Energy siphons are the holes and drains on your home – and your life’s – feng shui that prevent income, happiness, success, marriage or good health. You may wonder what your life is going downhill or that don’t seem to have traction anymore or you can’t ever seem to get ahead.
This can be one of the most frustrating situations in feng shui because the drain can be very subtle over time, much like the frog that doesn’t recognize it is being boiled to death, you may simply learn to cope with the problems, but never really surmounting them.
But complacence is not the answer; revitalizing your home and your life can help stop the drains of energy from your front door so that you can regain your footing again. What should you look for?
These are some of the most common energy siphons that can create problems in our lives, like stagnation, declining life situation, and even harm.
Ditches. When you see a ditch from your front door, your eye, and thus your home’s chi, flows there. Do something to block the view, such as plantings or life will become an uphill battle.
Stairs. If your front door is too close to a stairway or is opposite a set of stairs, energy is siphoned away from your home and life, creating a myriad of problems.
Dried flowers, dead plants. Whether these are mementos or you simply like dried flowers, having dead energy in your home will drain at your health and financial well-being. The same is true of dead trees or shrubs.
Parking lots. When your home faces an open parking lot, there are many problems that can befall you and everyone in the household. These can range from injury and loss to violence and accident. Plant a hedge to block the view or erect a fence or stone wall.
Eyesores. Chi is a living energy, and where the eye goes, chi flows. If your eye is always drawn to an eyesore around your home like a neighbor’s old junky cars, a large overhead powerline, a dead tree or other eyesore, this impacts your home and drains your home’s energy.
Hallways. This is a common problem for apartment and condo dwellers. If there is an open hallway that is close to your door, it becomes a “hole” with the potential to siphon and drain the energy from your home and life. They can also be a place where predators hide and cause you harm.
Elevators. Like hallways, elevators – especially those located opposite a front door will drain the energy from your front door every time it opens in front of your house causing problems that range from relationship problems, marital difficulties and the inability to attract a mate to career and financial dilemmas.
View of bathroom or kitchen from front door. These can cause a decline in your health and opportunity will be in short supply as they drain the energy right at the door from entering the remainder of the house.
All is not lost if you have a siphon at your front door. Make sure you work to activate your front door to encourage chi energy to enter your home and bring opportunity to your life.
• Add light. Keep your door brightly lit with a porch light, string lights or lamp inside front window. Keep your front door well-lit with help draw energy to your home and life.
• Add plants. A pretty plant, or even a basket or wreath on the door, to bring life and vitality to your front door.
• Refresh your door. Try adding a new black door mat to draw opportunity to your home, give it a fresh coat of paint and maybe some new hardware to keep it in great condition.
• Block unsightly views. Whether this is a bathroom that can be seen from the front door or a ditch or eyesore, use curtains, plantings and other visual blocks to stop your eye from seeing these sights and having them impact your door.
• Use protectors. These can be fu dogs, chi lins or even a statue of a dog to look out as a protector at your front door.
• Activate the inside. Use helpful activators in your foyer with images of a dragon, birds, or placing a water fountain by the doorway to help bring chi and beneficial energy to your doorway.