Our jobs are important to us, to our sense of self, providing support for our families, and can even define our identities. Second to generating wealth, energizing the career sector ranks highest among those interested in using feng shui to better their lives.
It makes sense because of how much time we spend at our jobs. More than a third of our daily lives are spent at work. It’s also understandable because to have a successful career enables us to make better decisions for ourselves and our families and gives us more freedom in our lives.
With an ongoing recession, career strength and job security have become much more important because a job can be lost at any time and for any reason.
Fortunately, feng shui provides techniques that you can use to help you earn more recognition, invite more opportunity, and attract the eye and support of superiors who can help you in your career — and go to bat for you when problems strike.
When you energize important areas in your life, you open up the environment for a range of possibilities and opportunities for advancement. For instance, by energizing your career sector, your job may suddenly become better, or something new and better will come to you that you hadn’t expected at all, such as a business opportunity or a promotion at work.
Making changes and enhancements for your career brings you exposure to new opportunities. And when you make more changes in your life, you get more choices. Choices give you the chance to feel more control over your career and life. Activating your feng shui for career opens up the energetic flow so that your career energy is smoothly free-flowing versus stuck or, worse, stagnant and going backwards.
There are two critical areas to enhance if you want to improve your career: your house and your office. It’s important that you look at both areas and make changes to both areas in order to make your feng shui compound. Below are ideas you can use for some career feng shui first aid for both your home and office. Don’t let the recession box you in — take steps for your financial and job security and keep your feng shui fresh, invigorated and moving!
STEP ONE: YOUR HOME
6 Key Steps to Activate Your Career at Home
1. Look north. Make sure the north sector of your home is in good order. If your north sector is missing or if there is a toilet here, activate the north sector of your living room and office with metal objects, water or elements that represent water. This activates the career chi and brings you opportunities.
2. In the north corners of your bedroom, office, dining room or living room: Activate the career corners of the important rooms in your house. You can do this by decorating with blue or black, a picture of water (not overly large, however), and metal (preferably gold-colored) objects. Avoid adding water in the bedroom as it can cause you financial loss, but you can add water in your office, living room, or dining room.
3. Your home’s entrance: Make the entrance to your home as attractive as possible to invite new opportunities. Make it neat and easy to come into by removing obstacles, blockages, dying plants, worn out welcome mats, etc. Keep it bright, clean and inviting. Add a black welcome mat to invite water energy into your home. Be sure to block any views that go straight through from the front of the house to the back or you’ll be missing opportunities (and losing money). If your front door has peeling paint or a worn out door handle, spruce this up or you could suffer setbacks.
4. Look south. Display peacock feathers in the south portion of the home and keep this area well-lit. The south represents recognition. A grouping of nine candles would be excellent here as well. Consider painting the south room in your house red, orange, or a shade of red to bring attention to yourself and reinforce your good reputation and name.
5. Welcome career opportunities. Keep a light in the entrance to your home turned on. A chandelier with crystal prisms that cast the different colors around the entryway is especially good. Be sure to use the front door, too. This brings energy into your home and welcomes good career news. If your stairway faces the front door, opportunities could run out. Hang a crystal ball above the last stair to press down the energy. Alternately, place a round rug between the stair and the door.
6. Add water to the front of your home. Consider putting in a water fountain (on the left side of the door as you look out of the house) inside the house or outside. (A water feature on the right side of the house invites cheating in the marriage.) If you put in a water feature outside your home, make sure the water appears to be flowing toward the house. This is one of the best ways to bring opportunities to your door.
STEP TWO: YOUR OFFICE
8 Ways to Activate Your Career at Work
1. Sit in a power position by facing (but not in direct line with) the door. Don’t sit with your back to the door ever. If your furnishings in your office or cubicle are built in, then turn your computer so that you can see someone coming from either your left or right side.
2. Tap your personal kua directions. Face your personal best directions if at all possible, but never ignoring #1 above. Use as many of your personal best directions as possible, but make sure you observe good feng shui and annual feng shui ahead of personal feng shui. To determine which are your best directions follow this link.
3. Stop gossip. If gossip is a problem in your career, place a statue of a rooster on your desk to look at anyone coming into the office. This will help curb some of the politicking and talk in the office.
4. Get support. This is extremely important for a good career and why you should have something solid behind you. If you have a window at your back, you will suffer from lack of support. Turn so that there is a wall behind you. Also, make certain that there is not a bookshelf or open cabinets at your back. Place these where they are not in direct line with you or your desk. This also means making sure you don’t have any bookshelves facing you. Move these if you do. Also be certain you don’t have a hallway, stairs, or other entry that is exactly opposite your desk.
5. Enhance your wealth corner. Place a plant in the southeast corner of your office. Get rid of spindly, weak plants. Better to have a pretty silk plant than a real plant that is dying. Better still? Add a fountain here.
6. Be recognized. Trouble getting noticed for your hard work? Place a lamp in the south corner of your office for more recognition. Also, place red objects, lava lamps, candles, or anything shaped like a triangle. This adds fire energy and helps you get noticed and recognized for your efforts.
7. Activate your career sector. Place a tortoise in the north corner of your office to symbolize water and support. Or, place a big picture of water here. If you want to go all out, place an aquarium here with eight gold fish and one black gold fish.
8. Get help. It’s the “who you know principle” that you want to engage at work. Mentors and helpful people at work can smooth the way on the job and in your career. For that reason, it’s so important tomake sure the northwest corner is activated. Add crystals, moving metal objects (such as a fan or pendulum clock), maps, or globes.
© K Weber Communications LLC
Copyright Kathryn Weber. All rights reserved.